In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, strives to strengthen respect for humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to strengthen their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private non-profit and humanitarian foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call is made up of many different nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are especially encouraged from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
The Context and Security Manager is responsible for advising the Country Director and the Mission on security risks and procedures, evolving context and ANSA engagement.
- Design and update security policies and plans for specific actions/events/trips;
- Write security analyzes or incident reports;
- Updated security guidelines;
- Regular staff training on security/safety issues.
- Follow up on context and BF to colleagues;
- Produce regular security analyses;
- Monitors and reports ANSA behavior;
- Submission of regular reports on SitReps security and ANSA violations.
ANSA consultancy, networking and representation
- Produce ANSA mapping and analysis;
- Participate in security NGO meetings;
- Engage key ANSA figures to monitor the context.
Training and experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in international relations/other humanitarian field;
- At least 2 years of proven relevant experience in security management in other Yemen INGOs;
- Knowledge of Yemeni ANSA background (and desired contacts);
- In-depth knowledge of the Yemeni context;
- Experience with international organizations is preferred.
- Good ability to develop stakeholder maps;
- Ability to analyze security and design guidelines;
- Understanding of international humanitarian law is an asset Experience in reporting, monitoring and research;
- Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian affairs issues and the humanitarian framework and capacity for in-depth analysis;
- Experience in advocacy by developing professional relationships with various stakeholders, including armed actors and civil society, and working in a neutral and objective manner.
- Analytical skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and in conflict-affected contexts;
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to adapt communications to different audiences;
- Interpersonal skills with experience negotiating with arms bearers and other stakeholders;
- Willingness and ability to travel on short notice.
- Fluency in Arabic is required;
- Fluent English.
The employee will be responsible for the responsibilities and competencies, in accordance with GC Performance Management p. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The job description
- The individual work and professional development plan
- The competency framework
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated with, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous position could cause security problems for Geneva Call / Appel de Genève employees, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Security and Context Officer
- Type of contract: Fixed-term contract (national position)
- Activity rate: 100%
- Place of work: Aden, Yemen
- Desired start date: August 1, 2022
How to register
To apply, follow the link:
No later than July 21, 2022
All applications will remain confidential. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the rest of the process.